Summer squash overload?
If you are like me, you’ve roasted it, baked it, sliced it, diced it. Perhaps you’ve even tried spiraling it! But, have you tried GRILLING the spirals? Well now is the time.
This amazing, easy to make and delicious grilled zucchini spirals with rustic pesto is a huge crowd pleaser even with people who are telling you they can’t possible eat any more summer squash. You can make this as a main dish, it’s great for your vegan and paleo friends.
But first…do you have a vegetable spiral slicer? I use the Gefu Spirelli Spiral Slicer from Bed Bath and Beyond. My sister gave it to me for my birthday, it is awesome!
- 4 cups green zucchini spirals
- 4 cups yellow squash spirals
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat your grill to about 400 degrees
- Place the green and yellow squash spirals in a mesh grilling pan
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt on top
- Grill over medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally to ensure all the spirals are cooked through.
- While the spirals are cooking, make the rustic pesto.
- When the spirals are finished, remove from grill and spread over the rustic pesto.
- Toss until fully incorporated.
- Serve immediately!
I use my Kuhn Rikon Swiss Pull Chop to make this amazing pesto. You can also use a food processor, but don’t over process. If you have another chopper, use that. Or, you can even use a very sharp knife and chop finely.
- Place the basil leaves, garlic cloves, sunflower seeds and olive oil in your chopper.
- Spin and chop until the leaves and sunflower seeds are chopped well.
- Place the rustic pesto in a pasta dish and set aside until the grilled spirals are ready.